Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Aerating

Last night was my first exercise in lawn aeration (I've added a good link from Virginia Tech as to the hows and whys, here is another from Bluebird). As far as I can tell, it was a success, but I guess we'll see later on in the spring.

My neighbor and I rented a unit from the local Rona and split the cost. Not a bad deal at $30 each. The unit we rented was a behemoth called the 742 from Bluebird International.


The rugged design of the 742 aerator provides low maintenance and outstanding durability for profitable operation. A 4HP Honda engine with a synchronized clutching system, allows for smooth starts. The free-wheeling outer tine system provides unparalleled maneuverability and removable side weights offer optimal soil penetration and balance for easier slope aeration.


Probably a little much for what we needed, but with the hard packed lawn, I think the extra weight did some good.

Total time to cover the small urban yard was about 30 mins, so it was not a problem getting it back to the store that evening.

A couple of Lessons Learned:
- Remove the weights before you try to lift the machine in and out out of your van.
- Keep the speed on low, especially in a small space, otherwise, you'll get dragged around and wreck your back and shoulders in the process.
- High speeds can cause collisions with raised beds.
- Aerate up slopes. You'll get deeper, even plugs (versus deeper down slope plugs and shallow up slope if you aerate accross).

Per our "Healthy Yards" education session, I raked the plugs and put them into the composter as my "browns". I will need to follow this up with a quick layer of compost and perhaps a little sand to add some much needed nutrients. The neighbor used chemical fertilizer right after, so I'll let you know how each lawn does...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Jon, great tips. I'm curious where you got the picture of the grass used in your header from. Please and thank you!

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.